Do You Suspect Bullying? Why Asking Your Kid Questions Is a Must! by Heather Monroe, Newport Academy
Initiating open communication is the best way to support your child if you think they might be a victim of bullying. Try asking questions like these:
- What made you happy at school today? Was there anything that didn’t make you happy?
- Do you know what bullying is?
- Who are the adults you trust and can talk to at school if there’s anything you need?
- Do you see people being bullied at school? If yes, how does that make you feel?
- Have you ever felt scared to go to school because of bullying?
It’s essential to touch base with your child every day to find out how they’re feeling and what’s happening in their life. Connecting with them on a daily basis helps prevent unhealthy behaviors and promotes a healthy parent-child relationship for the long term.