Want Your Teen to Make Better Decisions? Here's Some Help! by Kelli Schulte
SCENARIO: Your 17-year-old daughter was asked to start up a new club at school. She asks your opinion. You:
- Give her your opinion. After all she did ask!
- Ask what her friends think she should do.
- Tell her it’s time she starts making her own decisions and remind yourself she is almost an adult.
- Ask her what she thinks she should do.
Learning to make decisions is one of the best ways to build their confidence, competence and resilience! As your daughter processes the decision, listen to see if she:
- Takes pause to evaluate options.
- Weighs the pros and cons.
- Makes an intentional choice vs. reacting.
- Considers how her emotions and thoughts may impact her decision.
- Considers how her decision impacts others.
For more on helping your teen make good decisions click here!