How Do You Possibly Explain Tragedies & School Shootings to Kids? Here’s a Little Help... by Dr. Monisha Vasa
Discussing tragedies such as the Florida and Las Vegas mass shooting with your children can be challenging. The most important thing is to consider the age, temperament and maturity level of your child, and provide information accordingly. Some things to consider:
- Don't alarm them beyond what's needed.
- Limit their exposure to media.
- Maintain routines that help children feel secure.
- Provide plenty of time and opportunity for your children to express their feelings and questions.
- It is OK to let them know that you don't have all of the answers, but that you will always do your best to protect them and keep them safe.
Your child’s fears may manifest in changes in sleep, appetite and behavior. Tuning into subtle shifts can help you understand if your child is struggling, and whether they need more support.