7 Ways to Put Your Kids to Work This Summer (Make 'Em Earn It)! by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
If you’re anything like me you’re worried our kids will wind up so entitled and enabled they’ll have nothing to complain about when they’re older. “When I was a kid I had to wait until I was 10 to get a smart phone. And the Wi-Fi was spotty in the rec room!”
We give our kids so much and do so much for them. I worry that we’re doing them a disservice. But it’s never too late to make a change. Let’s begin by putting our kids to work this summer!
- Let them get their hands dirty by doing the dishes, taking out the trash, etc.
- Require them to keep their rooms clean.
- Have them make dinner. (Always supervise younger children!)
- Volunteer as a family.
- Require them to earn screen time.
- Discuss the value of work ethic.
- Let your kids make mistakes and learn from them. This will help them become more resilient.
Your kids will thank you for it ... one day!