Argue in Front of the Kids? 6 Tactics That Will Help You Resolve Conflicts & Become a Smooth Negotiator by Doctor Harmony
Our children learn to deal with conflict by watching us. How can we be the best role models? Here are six tips to be a cool-headed negotiator when faced with a confrontation!
- Stay calm.
- Acknowledge the other person's viewpoint. If you are defensive, it fuels the argument.
- If it is overheated, take time out to calm down and revisit the issue when you are both calm.
- Use "I" or "we" statements, such as "I feel" or "we both."
- See if there can be compromise on both sides.
- Reassure the other person that you still respect them as a person and you are glad you can talk about the differences. It takes trust.
Follow these tips and your kids will thank you!