Do Your Kids Not Want to Hug Their Relatives? 6 Tips to Help! by Jill Ceder, LMSW, JD
a year ago
Do your relatives want to hug and kiss your kids, but they refuse? Here are six tips!
- Affection should never be forced.
- Teach kids to respect their bodies.
- Teach kids to respect others.
- Be a positive role model. Display good communication skills and strong boundaries.
- Deal with your relatives' hurt feelings. Explain your policy.
- If you children don’t want to give or receive hugs, encourage them to think of others and to say “hello” with a handshake or high-five.
Offer choices so they feel in control of their bodies and feelings.