College Freshmen: 12 Tips for College Success From a Very Smart Professor! by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
Have a child headed to college? I wrote 23 tips for academic success for The Huffington Post. Here's a sample!
- Get to know your instructors.
- Read your syllabi closely.
- Plan ahead and stay on top of your work.
- Always do the assigned readings.
- Work on improving your writing (learn how to cite sources).
- Use email etiquette.
- Take a course outside of your program.
- Choose your major carefully.
- Choose your friends carefully, too.
- Get involved in campus life.
- If you need support, ask for it.
- Call your parents!