Participate In Intense Sports or Exercise? 5 Hydration Guidelines You Need to KnowI by Dr. Heidi Renner
Drinking enough fluids while participating in intense sports like marathon running is crucial. Losing as little as 2 percent of body weight can lead to impaired athletic performance. Here are some hydration guidelines:
- Two hours before exercising, drink 16-20 ounces of water
- 10-20 minutes before exercising, drink 7-10 ounces of water
- While you exercise, drink 6-8 ounces of water every 15-20 minutes
- If you're exercising for longer than an hour, consume a sports drink with 4-8 percent of carbohydrates
- After you exercise, you need to drink 24 ounces for every pound lost
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal health care provider.
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.