Participate In Intense Sports or Exercise? 5 Hydration Guidelines You Need to KnowI by Dr. Heidi Renner
Drinking enough fluids while participating in intense sports like marathon running is crucial. Losing as little as 2 percent of body weight can lead to impaired athletic performance. Here are some hydration guidelines:
- Two hours before exercising, drink 16-20 ounces of water
- 10-20 minutes before exercising, drink 7-10 ounces of water
- While you exercise, drink 6-8 ounces of water every 15-20 minutes
- If you're exercising for longer than an hour, consume a sports drink with 4-8 percent of carbohydrates
- After you exercise, you need to drink 24 ounces for every pound lost
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.