Hacking Happiness Through Self-Care: 3 Simple Self-Care Strategies That Really Work by Amanda Hainline
Fifteen years ago, I was like a lot of women – exhausted by the demands of motherhood, marriage, work and life. One day I was overwhelmed by an instantaneous barrage of emotions, including frustration, anger, sadness, resentment and others all fighting for my attention.
Through research, I discovered I had experienced a “kundalini awakening,” when dormant emotional energy suddenly flows freely through the seven chakras (energy centers). This experience led me to develop and fine-tune the strategies I share in Feel Better in Five Minutes — methods I've taught to clients from CEOs to preschoolers. Here are three:
1. Envision Emotional Release
- Note on a scale of 1 to 10 how much an emotion is affecting you.
- Identify the emotion you want to release. Say (out loud if possible) “I choose to release [emotion] and whatever it is attached to.”
- Envision the emotions leaving your body while taking a couple of deep breaths.
2. Breathe From Your Belly
- Breathe in a deep breath through your nose while placing your hands over your belly until you feel it move with your breath.
- Breathe out completely through your mouth, repeating to get the feel for it.
- Once you get the hang of belly breathing, you don’t have to put your hands on your stomach. This makes it easier to use this technique when you are driving a car, or something else where you need to use your hands.
3. Dress for Your day
- Think about what you have to do today. Is there an important meeting on your calendar or are you having a chill day?
- Take stock of how you are feeling – are you confident, bold, depressed, anxious or overwhelmed? If you are having a big meeting and feel like you are lacking confidence, try wearing something red or orange to bring on the power to boost you. If you are relaxing after a long week, cuddle up in some soft off-white, pink or gray lounge wear for the morning.
- If you’re not sure which colors to wear, just open up your closet and see what clothes you are attracted to that day, Let your intuition guide you.
Let's be real – we all lead very busy lives. We really don't have time to think about our emotions in a deep and perplexing way and most of us don't want to spend a lot of time there.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.