Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: What Women Need to Know About Increased Vaginal Bleeding by Manhattan Women's Health & Wellness
Abnormal uterine bleeding is defined as increased or decreased vaginal bleeding when compared to your normal periods, after menopause or during pregnancy. Specifically, you shouldn’t be bleeding after period ends or spotting between periods, after sex or after your cycles have ceased due to menopause.
It’s also considered abnormal to experience prolonged menstrual bleeding or bleeding more heavily than usual during your regular menstrual cycle. Heavy uterine bleeding (HUB) can often lead to low blood counts counts requiring transfusions of blood or iron. You should contact your gynecologist for an appointment in any of these cases.
Abnormal uterine bleeding should always be evaluated with a thorough consultation and examination by an OB-GYN physician for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan, as it may be a symptom or sign of a serious illness or condition.
- Cancers (cervical, endometrial, ovarian, uterine, vaginal)
- Endocrine System Factors (overactive thyroid, underactive thyroid, PCOS)
- Fertility and Reproduction Factors (ectopic pregnancy, hormone levels, miscarriage, pregnancy, vaginal atrophy, perimenopause)
- Infections (cervicitis, chlamydia trachomatis, endometriosis, gonorrhea, pelvic inflammatory disease, vaginitis)
- Medical Conditions (Celiac disease, liver disease or kidney disease)
- Medications and Devices (forgotten tampon, IUD, changing/stopping birth control pills)
- Noncancerous Growths (cervical polyps, Adenomyosis, uterine fibroids, uterine polyps)
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Women's Health Magazine $12/year
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.