Flu Prevention: 5 Reasons Why a Flu Shot Is the Right Choice for You & Your Family by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Are you planning to get a flu shot this year? You should. With a “twindemic” threatening the health of millions of Americans, it’s time to make flu prevention a priority. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccination every flu season. Here are five reasons why:
- Getting a flu vaccination can keep you from getting sick with flu.
- Flu vaccination prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related health-care provider visits each year. During the coronavirus pandemic, it’s even more important to protect your health and ensure the limited resources of hospitals and urgent care centers are available to those impacted by COVID-19.
- Flu vaccination can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization for children, working age adults and older adults.
- While it is still possible to contract the flu when you are vaccinated, the severity of illness will likely be reduced.
- Getting vaccinated may also protect people around you, such as those who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness, including young children, older people and people with certain chronic health conditions.
Despite the many benefits offered by flu vaccination, only about half of Americans get an annual flu shot, resulting in increased hospitalizations and thousands of deaths. It’s important to decrease your chances of contracting the flu – or the potential of getting both COVID-19 and flu at the same time. Reach out to your nurse practitioner (NP) or other health-care provider now to give yourself and your family the best shot at a healthy flu season.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.