Breast Cancer Facts: 4 Facts About Breast Cancer You May Not Know by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Each year in the United States, there are more than 250,000 diagnosed cases of breast cancer. However, with monthly self-exams, annual clinical exams and mammograms, a majority of breast cancer diagnoses can be caught in the early stages and treated successfully. Breast cancer can impact everyone. Here are some fast facts you may not know:
1. Each year, 276,480 women and 2,620 men in the U.S. are diagnosed with invasive breast cancer.
2. About 42,000 women and 510 men in the U.S. die each year from breast cancer.
3. Deaths from breast cancer have declined over time, but overall, breast cancer remains the second leading cause of cancer death among women overall.
4. There are some risk factors you can control to reduce your risk of developing breast cancer. These include:
- Taking hormones.
- Excessive alcohol consumption.
- Physical inactivity.
If you have questions about breast cancer, or if you have a family history of breast cancer, it’s important to reach out to your health-care provider or nurse practitioner to schedule a checkup and ensure the health of your breasts.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.