How to Wash Face Masks: A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Clean Your Face Mask Properly From the CDC by 30Seconds Health
Face masks are an additional step to help slow the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) when combined with every day preventive actions and social distancing in public settings. Masks should be washed after each use. It is important to always remove masks correctly and wash your hands after handling or touching a used mask.
How to Clean Your Face Mask
- You can include your mask with your regular laundry.
- Use regular laundry detergent and the warmest appropriate water setting for the cloth used to make the mask.
Washing by Hand
- Prepare a bleach solution by mixing: 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water.
- Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
- Soak the mask in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
Make sure to completely dry mask after washing.
How to Dry Your Face Mask
- Use the highest heat setting and leave in the dryer until completely dry.
- Lay flat and allow to completely dry. If possible, place the mask in direct sunlight.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners, affiliates or any of their respective directors, officers, employees, staff or members of its respective board of directors.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.