Ovarian Cancer Isn’t Like Other Cancers: 7 Reasons Why Ovarian Cancer Is Different by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Ovarian cancer is relatively uncommon compared to other cancers. Only 22,000 women will get ovarian this year, while more 200,000 women will get breast cancer. But ovarian cancer is far deadlier.
Why is there such a big discrepancy? Here’s what makes ovarian cancer different:
- There is no standard, reliable way to screen for ovarian cancer.
- A pap smear won’t detect ovarian cancer, only cervical abnormalities.
- A pelvic exam is also not reliable, especially in detecting early-stage tumors.
- Transvaginal ultrasounds can find an ovarian mass, but cannot determine if it’s cancerous.
- The more periods a woman has, the higher her risk, which explains why age and never having children are risk factors.
- There are more than 30 types of ovarian cancer, each based on the type of ovarian cells from which it develops.
- Working dogs may help detect ovarian cancer by sniffing out volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in blood plasma samples.
If you have elevated risk of ovarian cancer, talk about precautions and screening options. The more women know about ovarian cancer, the better equipped they are to work with their provider to monitor symptoms and detect problems early. To learn more visit WeChooseNPs.org.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.