Sleep Deprivation: Your Lack of Sleep May Be Causing These 8 Things by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
Every day, millions of people sleepwalk through their daily routines, but being drowsy isn’t their only problem. Here are eight surprising effects of lack of sleep that make the case for getting more rest:
1. Accident-prone. Sleeping less than four hours makes you 15 times more likely to cause a car accident.
2. Brain fog. Poor sleep leads to difficulty concentrating and memory trouble.
3. Lack of creativity. REM sleep boosts creative juices.
4. Depression. People who don’t get enough sleep are 10 times more likely to be depressed.
5. Weakened immunity. Less than six hours of sleep makes you four times more likely to catch a cold.
6. Diabetes. Sleep deprivation causes insulin sensitivity to decrease by 25 percent.
7. Weight gain. Inadequate sleep causes hormone changes that affect metabolism.
8. Heart disease. Lack of sleep increases your risk of heart disease by 70 percent.
One in three adults don’t get enough sleep, and they may be experiencing serious health complications as a result. Don’t let your lack of sleep ruin your good health!
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.