No Time for Self-Care? 7 Ways to Put Yourself "On the Clock" for 6 Minutes by Noreen Braman
Recently, I was going through a list of common “well-being practices” with a group of attorneys, when a participant remarked that the “billable hours” model used by his law firm left no time for this, as he needs to account for time in six-minute increments. I realized that, if six minutes is valuable enough to bill for, it is important enough to spend on yourself. So, let's turn that concept on its head.
Start off by being "on the clock" for six minutes of well-being and take that time to do something. Keep track of these “billable” breaks, and when they reach 60 minutes, pay yourself with whatever capital is most meaningful to you – a treat, a gift, adding to a vacation savings fund or maybe with more time to spend on your well-being. Here are some ways to use your six minutes:
- Be mindful, centering yourself in the moment, where you are.
- Breathe meditatively. Take 10 deep breaths while looking at the sky.
- Stretch your body. Both sedentary and active work needs stretching to protect your muscles.
- Stretch your mind. Write a poem, craft something, draw or color. (Submit your poem to 30Seconds!)
- Do mild exercise. Walk in place for six minutes.
- Laugh! Search Youtube for "laughter yoga" videos.
- Read. Spend six minutes a day with a book you enjoy.
How would you spend your six minutes?
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.