World Kidney Day: 5 Healthy Habits That Help Protect Your Kidneys by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
People don’t usually put kidney health on the top of their priority list. But luckily, practicing good general health will take care of your kidneys, too. Here are five healthy habits that are good for you and your kidneys:
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water will help your kidneys function properly. (Here are six unexpected infused water recipes.)
- Eat healthy. A balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables – and light on sugar, saturated fat and processed foods – makes your kidneys’ job easier.
- Manage your blood pressure. High blood pressure puts added strain on your kidneys, so get yours checked regularly and treat it before it causes permanent kidney damage.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking slows blood flow to the kidneys and can interfere with medicines to control blood pressure.
- Shed extra pounds. Excess weight increases blood pressure, and can make high blood pressure harder to control.
You may not be focused on your kidney health, but if you follow these five healthy living tips, your kidneys should be in good shape. If you need help, visit an expert to explore ways you can live a little healthier, and take care of your kidneys in the process.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.