Emotional Eating: 5 Ways to Soothe Frayed Emotions Without Food by Dr. Sarah Allen
Hands up anyone who has reached for chocolate when you are feeling upset. When I say chocolate I mean the whole family-sized bar not a Hershey's Kiss! Doing this occasionally is fine but when it becomes a regular thing or when you can’t stop eating until you feel so uncomfortably full, we need to find better ways of self-soothing. One way of doing this is to use your five senses:
- Vision: Go outside and look at the nature all around you. If you don’t want to go out, light a candle and watch the flame dance or look at a book with gorgeous images.
- Hearing: Listening to music is a wonderful way to self-soothe. Be mindful, letting the sounds come and go.
- Smell: We all know that certain smells take us back to specific memories. Be aware of what smells bring you comfort without hunger or cravings.
- Taste: You don’t have to stay away from food entirely. Take small bites, eat it slowly, savoring each bite.
- Touch: Stroke a pet or cuddle someone. Put on clothes that feel soft or silky.
Which of these do you find the most soothing? Prepare for the next time you feel the need to eat emotionally. Get more tips about emotional eating.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Emotional Eating $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.