Turn Breast Cancer Awareness Into Action: 4 Ways to Fight Breast Cancer Starting Right Now by Cindy Cooke, DNP, FNP-C, FAANP
Having a hard time crossing better breast health off your to-do list? Here are five ways you can turn awareness into action:
- Do a self-exam. Self-exams can be controversial among some health care organizations, but roughly 40 percent of breast cancers are diagnosed after a woman finds a lump.
- Schedule a mammogram. Starting at age 40, talk to your health-care provider about your breast cancer risk, when you should get a mammogram and how often. If you’re behind schedule, make an appointment to get back on track.
- Be aware of excess weight. Excess weight has been linked to an increased breast cancer risk. If you’re overweight, losing even a little bit could make a big difference.
- Cut back on the cocktails. Limiting consumption to less than three drinks a week decreases your risk by 15 percent.
- Find a regular health-care provider. Most busy women could use a little help keeping on track with mammograms and post-mammogram follow-up. With a trusted health-care provider, like an nurse practitioner (NP), they are more likely to stick to a regular screening schedule.
If you’ve been slacking, make a point to cross these five things off your list today – starting with a visit to an NP.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Breast Cancer $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.