6 Ways to Keep Your Heart Healthy & in Tip-top Shape! by Dr. Shayna Mancuso
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both women and men in the U.S. However, the good news is it is also very preventable! The human heart is about the size of our two hands clasped together, and it's made up of a very complex electrical system and four distinct chambers – two atria and two ventricles (see image below). The heart works tirelessly to pump the blood throughout the circulatory system and supplies oxygen to tissues, while at the same time, removing carbon dioxide and waste. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle enables our cardiovascular system to work most efficiently. Here are a few tips to help keep your heart in tip-top shape!
- Stay active – Get a minimum of 30 minutes, five days a week of moderate exercise.
- Get your ZZZs – Research shows that getting seven hours of good-quality sleep can improve the health of our arteries.
- Healthy eating – The heart works best on good, clean fuel. Eat more fruits and veggies and less-processed foods.
- Don’t smoke – Avoid smoking, secondhand smoke and electronic cigarettes.
- Watch your weight – Maintain a wealthy weight/BMI and a healthy blood pressure.
- Do more of what you love and aim to reduce your stress – Meditate daily, practice yoga daily, laugh and love more.