Your Thanksgiving Survival Guide: A Dietitian Nutritionist Shares 9 Ways to Plan a Healthier Turkey Day by Felicia Stoler
This year, plan ahead to so that you can enjoy Thanksgiving without drowning in heaping servings of guilt. Here's my hour-by-hour survival guide for the holiday:
- Get a full night’s sleep the night before. Thanksgiving day will likely be stressful, and a lack of sleep will take its toll.
- Eat breakfast. Don’t save up for the big meal. Eating right away in the morning will help get your metabolism moving, and prevent you from overeating later in the day.
- Work out. Exercise is another metabolism booster. It is easier to have the motivation to exercise right when you wake up, rather than after a heavy meal that makes you sleepy. Don’t have time to hit the gym? Don’t worry, household chores and cleaning count!
- Hydrate. Drink water throughout the entire day.
- Skip the stretchy pants. Put on your normal jeans, not those baggy sweats that are a size or two too large.
- Have a snack. Choose a low-calorie healthy snack to help prevent overeating at the big meal.
- Season dishes with healthy herbs and condiments. Season dishes with fresh herbs, if possible. Otherwise, dried herbs are OK. Try making some dishes with a little kick. Spicy foods are harder to eat in excess.
- Wait at least a half hour between dinner and dessert. Your brain will have to time to get the message to your stomach that you are full, and you won’t eat as much dessert (or any).
- Take a post-dinner walk. If you are still awake and able to move, an after-dinner walk is a great way to speed up digestion.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Thanksgiving Cookbooks $4 & Up
Thanksgiving Decorations $5 & Up
Family Board Games $6 & Up
Healthy Snacks $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.