Most Popular 4-Ingredient French Chicken Recipe Is a Dinner Winner Poultry Dinner Budget-friendly
Bottled french salad dressing, dry onion soup mix and apricot preserves? If this chicken recipe sounds a little strange to you, know you are not alone. But hold on! This saucy french baked chicken was délicieuse (delicious)!
This french chicken recipe is not named french chicken as in the country of origin, but because of the french salad dressing used to prepare it. French dressing is an American dressing, funny enough, and available on the salad dressing aisle at most U.S. grocery stores. French salad dressing is creamy, and can range in color from pale orange to bright red. The main ingredients in french salad dressing is oil, vinegar and sugar.
This oven-baked chicken dinner has simple preparation and ingredients. Season the chicken with black pepper and salt and place it into a casserole dish. Mix together a bottle of french salad dressing, a package of dry onion soup mix and a small jar of apricot preserves. Pour the sweet sauce over the chicken and bake in the oven, basting occasionally, until cooked through.
My favorite part were the little bits of apricot from the preserves and the once-dried bits in the onion soup mix that added texture and flavor. Give this easy four-ingredient budget chicken recipe a try. I bet it becomes a requested recipe for dinner.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Total Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes
- 6 - 8 bone-in chicken pieces or boneless chicken thighs
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) french salad dressing
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apricot preserves
- I used Smucker's Simply Fruit Apricot Preserves, Wish-Bone Deluxe French Dressing and Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix.
- I used bone-in thighs for this recipe, but you could use boneless chicken thighs. Cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- If you don't have apricot preserves, try peach or even orange marmalade instead.
- If you don't have premade onion soup mix, try this homemade onion soup blend recipe.
Here's how to make it:
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and put it into a baking dish.
- Combine the salad dressing, soup mix and preserves in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken, making sure to cover the chicken completely.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Baste occasionally with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 20.7g
Saturated Fat: 5.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 30.3g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Total Sugars: 7.1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
See more tips on 30Seconds.com – Inspire and be inspired!