Easy Granola Bar Recipes: This Apple Cinnamon Granola Bar Recipe Is Packed With Protein by Deb Lowther
Truth is, granola bars are not that healthy. With the refined oats and preservatives, they offer little more nutritionally than a cookie. I have been searching for a granola bar recipe that didn't fall apart when I cut them and that the kids would like. These granola bars have a bit more sugar than I usually use, but are super high in protein due to the oat bran, chia seeds and flax. The apple chips provide the fruit that I like and a taste the kids love.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 7 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup healthy oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup chopped apple chips
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Here's how you make them:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and cover a large cookie sheet (with edges) with tin foil.
- Mix the rolled oats with the oil until well saturated. Spread the oats onto the cookie sheet and spread evenly. Bake the rolled oats for 20-25 minutes, string often, until golden brown.
- While the oats are baking, mix honey, brown sugar and vanilla in a small pot and cook over low heat until all the sugar is dissolved. In a separate large bowl combine the oat bran, chia seeds, flax, apple chips and cinnamon.
- When oats are nice and brown, remove from oven and lower oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Transfer the cooked oats into the oat bran, chia mixture and combine well. Pour the melted sugars over the granola and mix well.
- Return the granola mixture to the tin foil covered cookie sheet after spraying lightly with a cooking spray, and spread out evenly. Using the back of a large spatula or heavy flat dish (also sprayed with cooking spray), press the granola mixture firmly into the cookie sheet, making sure the oats on the entire cookie sheet have been pressed into place.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 300 degrees F. Remove from oven and let cool, but not longer than 10 minutes or they will be too hard to cut. Transfer to a cutting surface and cut into any size bars using a large sharp knife.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.