My grandma made the best fried chicken. You know, the kind fried in lard that tastes like heaven? I could never master her techniques, but found a super-crunchy, oven-baked panko chicken recipe my family loves.
The seasoned panko makes a crispy, flavorful crust on this baked chicken recipe. I like to make this chicken recipe in a cast iron skillet, because it helps make the chicken even crispier.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 50 minutes
- 6 chicken legs or thighs, or a combination
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, for drizzling
Here's how to make it:
- Put the butter in a cast iron skillet or oven-proof skillet and pop it into a preheated 425-degree F oven to melt while you get the batter station ready. Put the eggs and water in one bowl and panko and remaining ingredients except olive oil in another bowl.
- Dip the chicken in the egg wash and then roll in the crumb mixture, pressing so it sticks to the skin. Remove the pan from the oven and place the breaded chicken into it. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how big your chicken pieces are, turning once.
Note: Dried Italian seasoning could be used in place of the dried basil and oregano.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $12 & Up
Smoked Paprika $3 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Dried Basil $3 & Up
Onion Powder $3 & Up
Panko $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.