How to Make Healthier Macaroni & Cheese With Hidden Vegetables! by Deb Lowther
Pasta Side Dishes
6 years ago
Add to collection
Every kid (and most adults) love macaroni and cheese. My kids are growing up on a homemade version (and lots of it) of the "blue box."
- whole wheat noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion diced (my kids prefer no onions)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pureed squash
- 1/2 cup pureed zucchini, cauliflower or carrots (light or orange colored vegetables hide nicely in the cheese sauce!)
Here's how to make it:
- Cook noodles as directed on package.
- In a separate pan or skillet, melt butter and add onion, cooking until soft. Add flour and mix into melted butter.
- Slowly pour in milk and stir often as milk heats up and flour dissolves.
- Add cheddar cheese and pureed vegetables, stirring until mix comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly to thicken. If too thick add more milk.