National Spaghetti Day: How to Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (a Fresh Alternative to Jarred)! by Donna John
Jarred spaghetti sauce is fine, but if you have time, why not make your own healthier, homemade version? It's really easy!
- 3 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- salt and pepper
- chopped garlic
- fresh basil leaves
- sugar (optional)
- olive oil
Here's how to make it:
- Put the tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle them with a little salt.
- Bring to a simmer and smash them with a potato masher.
- Cook on low heat, stirring often, until they reduce down and form a "paste," about 2 to 3 hours.
- Throw in some chopped garlic, fresh basil leaves and about 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, if needed. (This will depend on how sweet your tomatoes are and how you like your sauce.) Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the olive oil. I use a lot, probably around a 1/4 cup or so, but it's all to your taste.
Serve over your favorite pasta.