Fall and winter is the time to grab that apron and bake pies! Pie is a favorite in the fall months and for the holidays. Cranberry pie, cherry pie, mincemeat pie, pecan pie and pumpkin pie are just a few of the pies families enjoy this time of the year. But the favorite, by far, is apple pie. This salted caramel apple pie recipe puts apple pie even one rung higher on the favorite dessert ladder.
To make this caramel apple pie recipe you will need heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar, butter, kosher salt and espresso powder for the salted caramel. For the pie, you'll need a double pie crust, fresh apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cornstarch. You'll also need to grab an egg and milk to make an egg wash.
Serve this pie warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. You will not regret making this pie!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: 8 (makes 12-inch pie)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or flaked sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon good-quality instant espresso powder
- 1 recipe for a double pie crust
- 4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine-grain salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- egg wash (1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of whole milk, whisked)
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
- Aluminum Foil
- Pastry Brush
- Apple Corer
- Pie Plate
- Apple Peeler
- Paring Knife
- You can use your favorite apples, but Granny Smith bake up very well in pies.
- Store any leftover pie covered in the refrigerator. Reheat slices in the microwave.
- You could use a box or refrigerated pie crusts.
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare the caramel by heating the cream in a small saucepan until it boils. Add instant espresso, stir, remove from heat and set aside. To an additional medium-sized high-sided saucepan, add sugar and water. Wet a pasty brush and remove any sugar granules above the water line so the sugar won't seize.
- Place pan over medium-low heat and swirl pan gently until sugar dissolves and the liquid clears. Increase heat to high and boil rapidly. Swirl the pan occasionally (do not stir). Cook until the caramel turns a deep golden brown.
- Immediately turn off the heat and add warmed cream, butter and salt. Be careful, the mixture will rise dramatically in the saucepan and splatter. Stir to blend. If any bits of caramel have solidified, set the pan back over very low heat and stir until melted. Cool caramel to room temperature. Adjust flavoring with salt to taste.
- Now prepare the apple filling. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add sliced apples, sugar and salt. Cook until apples are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cornstarch and spices and cook until the filling is thickened about 3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add 1 1/2 cups cooled salted caramel. Set aside and allow the filling to cool completely.
- Roll out one recipe of double-crusted pie dough on a floured surface to a 13x1/8 inches-thick round. Starting at the edge furthest from you, roll the edge of the dough over and around the rolling pin. Lift the rolling pin and center in the middle of your pie plate. Slowly unroll the dough into your plate. Use kitchen scissors to trim the dough so it overhangs the edge of the pan by 1 inch. Chill until ready to use.
- Prepare the lattice strips with the remaining dough, rolling it into a large 1/8-inch thick rectangle. Trim to a 14x12-inch rectangle and cut it into 14 1-inch wide strips. If strips of dough are warm and difficult to move, chill on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Pour cooled filling into unbaked pie crust, mounding in the center of the pie dish with apple filling. Lay seven chilled lattice strips, evenly spaced, horizontally across the pie filling. Working from the right side, fold back every other strip so they are doubled back on themselves. Lay a vertical strip of dough next to this new fold. The new strip should be perpendicular to and a half an inch away from the first vertical strip. Repeat twice more until the pie has been latticed.
- With kitchen scissors, trim lattice ends even with overhanging bottom crust. Fold the overhang under and crimp or form a decorative border. Chill pie for a minimum of 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F when ready to bake.
- Lightly brush the egg wash over the entire pie, including the edges, and sprinkle the crust with sugar. Set the pie on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to preheated oven. Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes. To prevent the crust from over-browning, make a pie shield foil tent. Position the shield loosely over the crust and remove for the final 20 minutes of baking. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Cool the pie for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 16.1g
Saturated Fat: 6.8g
Total Carbohydrate: 81g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
Total Sugars: 66.9g
Vitamin D: 10mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.