Tipsy Persimmon Bread Recipe: A Deliciously Different Fall Bread Recipe by Grace O
Persimmons are a stunning deep orange fruit available in the fall when your neighbor’s decorative tree explodes with the fruit. There are two types of persimmons: the Japanese Hachiya, which is large and round with an elongated tip. The Fuyu is smaller and can look like a tomato. The Hachiya is soft to the touch when ripe and the flesh is smooth and creamy with a tangy-sweet flavor. If not completely ripe, the flesh is very astringent and mouth puckering. The Fuyu, on the other hand, is firm even when ripe and the flesh is sweet and not at all astringent.
Persimmons contain a good amount of vitamins A and C. Pecans have a higher number of strong antioxidants, more fiber, and more monounsaturated fat versus polyunsaturated fat. They are also higher in vitamin E. On the other hand, walnuts are the best go-to nut for omega-3 fatty acids, iron and vitamin B. Walnuts also have more protein and polyunsaturated fat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: (makes 2 9-x5-inch loaves)
- 3 1/2 cups sifted white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) melted unsalted butter, cooled to room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup bourbon or Cognac
- 2 cups persimmon puree (from about 4 squishy-soft Hachiya persimmons)
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups raisins or diced dried fruits (apricots, cranberries or dates)
- You don't have to buy an expensive bourbon or Cognac for this recipe.
- To speed up getting your eggs to room temperature, place them in a bowl of warm water.
Here's how to make it:
- Generously butter two 9x5-inch loaf pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper or dust with flour and tap out any excess. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, sea salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cardamom and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center then stir in the butter, eggs, liquor, persimmon puree, then the nuts and raisins.
- Pour the batter into the baking pans. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission of FoodTrients.com.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 22.5g
Saturated Fat: 8.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 47.3g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8g
Total Sugars: 26.2g
Vitamin D: 4mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.