Ina Garten's 11-Hour Fried Chicken Recipe Is Worth the Time by Donna John
Fried chicken is a staple in the south. My grandma made the absolute best fried chicken on the planet. Unfortunately, I've only achieved her fried chicken magic once, by accident. So that leaves me looking for different fried chicken recipes to try. Ina Garten (aka The Barefoot Contessa) is one of my favorite celebrity chefs, so I had to try her 11-hour fried chicken recipe.
The 11 hours comes from letting the chicken marinate in buttermilk overnight. After its buttermilk bath, the chicken is dredged in flour and fried in a skillet before being baked. Is this chicken worth the steps? Yep. The chicken comes crispy, juicy and less greasy than skillet fried chicken.
To make Ina's chicken you will need a chicken, buttermilk, flour, salt and pepper, plus vegetable oil for frying. Serve this classic southern comfort food recipe for dinner with your favorite side dishes. I served mine with collard greens and scalloped potatoes. It would be delicious with Ina's potato salad.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus time to sit
Cook Time: 40 minutes (approximately)
Total Time: 11 hours
- 1 chicken (about 3 pounds), cut up
- buttermilk (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- Vegetable Oil
- Pepper Grinder
- Meat Thermometer
- Dutch Oven
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Sheet
- Bring the oil back to 360 degrees F between batches when frying the chicken.
- Do not overcrowd the pan when frying the chicken.
- For the best results, use freshly ground black pepper.
- Ina's recipe is doubled, using two chickens and 2 cups of flour. I cut it in half.
Here's how to make it:
- Put the cut-up chicken into a large bowl. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, whisk together the flour, salt and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and coat in the seasoned flour.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a dutch oven or deep skillet to 360 degrees F. Fry the chicken in batches (don't overcrowd the pan) about 3 minutes per side or until skin is golden. Remove to a baking rack that's on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- When all the chicken is fried and on the baking rack, bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through (165 degrees F internal temperature).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 26.1g
Saturated Fat: 7.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 20.5g
Dietary Fiber: 0.7g
Total Sugars: 3g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.