Sweet & Savory Skillet Apple Pie Chicken Recipe Is Just In Time for Fall by Chef Gigi
We love making this baked chicken recipe in the fall when apples are at the peak of flavor. This easy skillet apple pie chicken recipe is fall on your plate, and so easy to make!
This chicken cooks up on the stovetop in about 30 minutes. Here is your shopping list for this fall-inspired chicken dinner: bone-in or boneless chicken, olive oil, unsweetened apple juice, fresh apples, butter, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, dried thyme and a lemon.
Herbs to consider using in this dish are thyme, rosemary, oregano and parsley. The woodsy taste of rosemary really helps the apples shine. Serve this gluten-free apple chicken for dinner with your favorite side dishes. Here are a few fall-themed side dishes to try:
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 8 chicken legs, thighs or quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 medium, green or red apples peeled, cored and sliced into large wedges
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice
- 1 - 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or your favorite herbs
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Be sure to keep an eye on the liquid as you simmer the chicken. Add a little water if it becomes too dry. Also, the maple syrup or honey can burn quickly. Watch it closely!
- You could use boneless chicken thighs or breasts.
Here's how to make it:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add butter, apples, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup and thyme to the skillet. Stir until apples turn slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add apple juice and lemon, stirring to loosen browned bits from the pan. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes
- Return chicken to pan. Cook, covered, over medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165 degrees F.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat 19.2g
Saturated Fat 8.9g
Total Carbohydrate 24.7g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Total Sugars 19.6g
Vitamin D 8mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.