Cheesy Pea Casserole Recipe Will Make You Want to Eat Your Peas by Donna John
Who doesn't love a cheesy baked vegetable casserole? While I love a good broccoli cheese casserole, I'm also a fan of green peas, and don't think they get enough respect. This cheesy sweet pea casserole recipe puts those tiny green balls in the limelight! This casserole is easy enough for Monday night dinner but would also fit in nicely on your holiday menu.
To make this pea casserole recipe you'll need butter, fresh mushrooms, onion, garlic, flour, nutmeg, half and half, Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese and frozen peas. The casserole starts on the stovetop and ends in the oven. The prep is quick and the cooking even easier. This sweet pea casserole will make anyone want to eat their peas!
Serve this vegetable casserole recipe as a side dish with your favorite dinner. The leftovers reheat well in the microwave for the next day. This casserole makes a lot (12 servings), so you can cut it in half for smaller families or weeknight meals.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen peas
- I cut this recipe in half and used a smaller casserole dish.
- For a crunchy topping, sprinkle one 2.8-ounce can of french fried onions on top about five minutes before baking time is up.
- If you don't like mushrooms, leave them out.
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions and mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the half and half.
- Cook the half and half over medium-low heat, stirring often, until it thickens, about 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in almost all of the Swiss and Parmesan (save a little for the top) and stir until melted.
- Stir in the peas.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 13x9-inch baking pan. (I used a smaller casserole dish because I cut the recipe in half.)
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 40 minutes. Add the remaining cheese and bake 5 more minutes to melt.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 13.3g
Saturated Fat: 8.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 16g
Dietary Fiber: 4.6g
Total Sugars: 4.4g
Vitamin D: 75mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.