Farmhouse Tomato & Zucchini Casserole Recipe Is the Best of Summer by Jan Mostrom
I've made a fair amount of recipes with zucchini and tomatoes this summer. Here is yet another one that was terrific and so easy to make. This farmhouse tomato and zucchini casserole recipe with fresh summer ingredients is the perfect side dish for any lunch or dinner. We loved every healthy bite!
To make this baked vegetable casserole recipe you will need fresh, ripe tomatoes, garden zucchini, garlic, shredded mozzarella cheese, butter, Parmesan cheese, dried Italian seasoning and breadcrumbs. The ingredients are layered in a casserole dish before being baked until tender, soft, ooey and gooey.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- You can use any shredded cheese you'd like for this recipe. I used mozzarella, but provolone, Monterey Jack, gruyere, fontina, cheddar or Swiss would be delicious.
- Freshly shredded cheese melts better than pre-shredded bag cheese, so grate your own if you can.
Here's how to make it:
- Put the sliced zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes drain any liquid from the zucchini and arrange in the bottom of a buttered or sprayed 9x9-inch (or similar size) casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes in a single layer over the zucchini.
- Season with Italian seasonings, salt and black pepper. Add minced garlic over the top and place in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- While the casserole bakes, combine meted butter, breadcrumbs and both cheeses in a bowl.
- After 15 minutes of baking remove the zucchini and tomatoes from the oven and sprinkle with the cheese mixture. Put back in oven and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.