No-Salt Copycat Seafood Seasoning Recipe Tastes Like Old Bay Without the Salt by Melissa Vickers
Love Old Bay seasoning? This homemade Old Bay seasoning copycat blend is low in sodium. Actually, no sodium! The easy copycat recipe uses 12 different spices: ground bay leaf, celery seeds, paprika, mustard powder, ginger, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, clove and cardamom.
If you’ve ever had Maryland crab cakes, you are probably familiar with the traditional Old Bay seasoning spice. Invented by a German Jew who fled Nazi Germany with his family in 1938, this spice blend goes well on more than just crab cakes! Try the spice blend on freshly popped popcorn, deviled eggs, corn on the cob and more!
Make this DIY low-sodium Old Bay seasoning and store it in an airtight container. The spice will keep for at least six months in your pantry. How do you like to use Old Bay seasoning?
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 30 (Makes about 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground bay leaves
- 3 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- If you can’t find ground bay leaves, make your own by grinding about 20 medium bay leaves in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- If you aren't watching your sodium, us 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of celery salt instead of celery seeds.
- If you like things spicy, add more ground cayenne pepper.
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk until evenly combined.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.2g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrate: 0.6g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2g
Total Sugars: 0g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.