Creamy Chicken Zucchini Casserole Recipe: Quick & Easy Comfort Food by Jan Mostrom
Some days are just made for the creamy comfort food. I think that is this creamy chicken zucchini casserole recipe! This chicken casserole is filling and satisfying and ohhh so easy to make. I made this recipe for family and friends, and they loved it and wanted a copy of the recipe. (Click that print button above!)
The ingredient list is short for this casserole and won't cost you an arm and a leg (aka budget friendly). You will need butter, boneless chicken breasts, zucchini, sweet peppers, flour, chicken or vegetable broth, whole milk, cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. The casserole starts cooking on the stovetop and finishes in the oven. Quick and easy!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (thighs or breasts)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 large sweet peppers, chopped (red, orange or yellow)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt-free or low-sodium broth (chicken or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- Make sure to drain the cooked vegetables well, if using, before adding them to the casserole.
Here's how to make it:
- In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter on medium and add the chicken.
- Cook chicken until browned and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a bowl.
- Add the zucchini and pepper to the skillet and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl with chicken.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and flour to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until flour is brown.
- Add broth and milk and whisk until liquid boils. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese and cream cheese.
- Drain all excess liquid from vegetables and chicken and add to the cheeses, stirring to combine. Transfer the chicken and vegetable mixture to a 2-quart casserole dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. (If you would like to cook later cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Bake in preheated 400-degree F oven 20 to 25 minutes until top is browned.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.