Farm-to-Table Tater Tot Casserole Recipe: A Healthier Version of the Classic by Jan Mostrom
This easy tater tot casserole came together so nicely the other night for dinner. I love that I can change up the meat and use frozen corn depending on what's in my freezer and in season. The cheese on top adds just the right amount of creaminess and it's a large enough casserole that you might have enough for lunch the next day as well.
This tater tot casserole recipe is healthier than many I've seen because of the addition of vegetables – fresh summer zucchini, corn, tomatoes and onion. The ingredient list is pretty simple for this comforting casserole recipe. You will need olive oil, ground beef, chicken or turkey, onion, zucchini, tomatoes, whole kernel corn, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, flour and cheddar cheese. If you have fresh chives in your garden, harvest some to snip on the top for garnish.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (divided)
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, jack or any kind you like), divided
- chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- You do not need to thaw the tater tots before making the casserole.
- If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, pour the casserole into a baking dish.
Here's how to make it:
- Place an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, chopped onions and ground meat. Cook until meat is cooked through and not pink.
- Add chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup of the tomatoes, corn and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir. Cook for another minute and remove from heat.
- Add tater tots to the mixture, poking them into it. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake in preheated 400-degree F oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with chives and the remaining tomatoes. Serve hot out of the oven or reheated on another day.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.