Quick & Easy Turmeric Cabbage Recipe: A Healthy, Tasty Side Dish by Donna John
Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetables. My mom always cooked cabbage the same way, with lots of bacon (aka fried cabbage). I love green cabbage this way, but have experimented with other ways to cook cabbage, too. This quick and easy turmeric cabbage recipe is now one of my favorite cabbage recipes.
We all know the health benefits of turmeric, so I love that this warm spice shines in this vegetable dish. (Cabbage also has some impressive health benefits.) The ingredient list is short and simple: green cabbage, olive oil, garlic, onion, ground turmeric and either broth or water. To keep this a vegetarian and vegan side dish, use either vegetable broth or water. The cabbage cooks up in no time in a skillet on the stovetop. One pan and simple cleanup!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 15 to 25 minutes
- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup broth or water (more if needed)
- You can use either vegetable broth or chicken broth in this recipe, or just plain ol' water.
- Why the big variation in cooking time? Everyone likes their cabbage cooked differently. I like mine really cooked and soft, but if you prefer crisp-tender cabbage, cook for less time.
- If you cook your cabbage for a long time, you may need to add more broth or water.
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until onions soften slightly and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the shredded cabbage, ground turmeric and broth or water.
- Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the cabbage is to your desired tenderness, about 5 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.