Easy 4-Ingredient Chicken & Gravy Recipe: Put Some Country In Your Mouth by Donna John
Chicken and gravy is one of the most downhome country dishes you can put in your mouth. Chicken and gravy is pure comfort food. This chicken and gravy is a shortcut recipe, using only four simple ingredients. This is one hearty chicken dinner your family will want to be on repeat.
To make this easy chicken and gravy dish you will need the following ingredients: a whole chicken, an onion, a family-size can of cream of chicken soup and sour cream. You will also need some water to get the cooking process going. This chicken recipe has a similar cooking method as my chicken and dumplings recipe.
Start by cooking the chicken and onion until the chicken is cooked through. While the chicken cools on a baking sheet or in a baking pan, the cream of chicken soup and sour cream are added to the broth. Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot, and simmer until it thickens up. It's now ready to be served over egg noodles or rice.
This four-ingredient recipe begs for a fresh vegetable on the side. I served mine over rice with a side of sweet green peas, but carrots, green beans, broccoli or corn would also round out the meal. Pick your favorite veggie side dish!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
- 8 to 10 cups water (to cook the chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (22 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1 tub (8 ounces) sour cream
- After measuring out the 6 cups of broth from the cooked chicken, I poured the remaining broth through a mesh strainer to get the onions out and added them back to the pot. Why waste good onions?
- Put the chicken onto a baking sheet or in a pan to cool. Spread it out and remove the skin so it cools faster.
- If you can't find a 22-ounce (family size) can of cream of chicken soup, use two 10.5-ounce cans.
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken in large pot. Add 8 to 10 cups of water to the pot along with the chopped onion.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and let it cool enough to handle.
- Measure out 6 cups of the broth and return it to the pot (discard or save the remaining broth for another use).
- Add the can of soup to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Let the broth simmer on low, stirring often, while the chicken cools.
- Put the sour cream into a small bowl. Add a ladle full of hot broth and stir to combine.
- Add another ladle and stir until smooth. (This helps prevent the sour cream from curdling.)
- Add the sour cream mixture to the broth and stir until smooth.
- Shred the chicken and return to the pot. Continue to cook until it thickens to your desired consistency. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.