Julia Child's Grated Zucchini Recipe With Shallots: The Best Way to Eat Zucchini by Donna John
When I first heard about Julia Child's grated zucchini recipe with shallots, I thought it would be a long, complicated recipe that had multiple steps. Boy, was I wrong! And with just a few simple ingredients, she turns summer zucchini into a craveable vegetable side dish.
Just a short and sweet shopping list for this zucchini recipe: shallots, salt, olive oil, butter and zucchini. The zucchini are grated and then sprinkled with salt to help them release moisture. Then it's just a trip into a frying pan with butter, olive oil and shallots. Quick and simple, but oh so tasty.
The grated zucchini turns out creamy. My husband actually asked if there was cream in it. Only Julia Child could work magic on such a humble ingredient. Serve this farm-to-table recipe as a side dish with your favorite proteins. I served mine with country fried deer strips. A delicious dinner that will be on repeat.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 to 3
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots (or 3 to 4 green onions, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Mesh Strainer
- Julia Child Cookbooks
- This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled.
- To get even more moisture out of the zucchini, squeeze it in a clean kitchen towel. I skipped this step.
- If you don't have shallots, use chopped green onions. You could also use yellow crookneck squash instead of zucchini. For a colorful side dish, use both.
Here's how to make it:
- Grate the zucchini.
- Put the zucchini into a mesh strainer or colander and sprinkle with the salt.
- Let the zucchini sit for about 5 minutes, then press to squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a skillet. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.