Old-fashioned Sock It To Me Cake Recipe: Grandma Would Approve of This Cinnamon Bundt Cake by Jan Mostrom
It's hard to know how to describe this incredibly moist sock-it-to-me cake recipe that has a middle layer of brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon and is worthy of any dinner party or special celebration. The roots of this cinnamon cake are cloaked in some mystery, but some say it's called a sock-it-to-me cake because it was so good, when people were asked if they wanted some they would reply, "Sock it to me!" I think you just might say the same!
There are quiet a few ingredients, but this is one of those special cakes that is worth the effort! Here is what you will need to make this bundt cake recipe: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, pecans, cinnamon, eggs, sour cream and milk.
Serve this amazing old-fashioned cake for dessert and surprise your family. I bet they'll love it! If you like this moist cinnamon cake, try this sock-it-to-me cake recipe that starts with a box cake mix.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus time to cool
Cook Time: 50 to 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for coating the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (omit salt if using salted butter)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk, plus more as needed
- Be sure to allow time for the cake to cool before glazing.
Here's how to make it:
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (omit salt if using salted butter) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss together the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter about 5 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape sides down. Add the granulated sugar and mix about 2 minutes, continuing to scrape down the sides. Add eggs, one at a time, and then add vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture gradually in three batches while adding half the sour cream in between and ending with the flour.
- Grease or spray a bundt cake pan and coat lightly with flour, shaking out any excess. Place half of the cake batter into the bundt pan using a spatula to smooth it out. Sprinkle the pecan mixture evenly over the batter.
- Top with the remaining cake batter, spreading it evenly, and gently tap the pan on the counter to any release air pockets.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Run a small spatula along the edges of the cake to make sure it isn’t sticking. The cake should naturally start pulling away within a few minutes of being out of the oven. Turn over onto a cooling rack and let cool to room temperature.
- While the cake cools blend glaze ingredients. If needed add more milk to make the glaze the right consistency. (You want it to drip down the cake not pour.) Place cooled cake on a plate and drizzle glaze over the top.
- Cut into slices and wow your guests with this tasty dessert!
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.