Shortcut Berry Trifle Recipe With Angel Food Cake: The Perfect July 4th Dessert by Ann Marie Patitucci
Trifle is a traditional English dessert that consists of layers of sponge cake (which are often alcohol-soaked), custard and fruit. Depending on the trifle recipe, you’ll see trifles made with lady fingers or pound cake as the sponge cake layer. "Light" recipes like this one call for angel food cake as a substitution (and, no, it’s not soaked in alcohol!).
By all means you can bake your own from-scratch cake recipe if you like. But if you prefer to save time (I’m always looking for time-savers myself), you can use a store-bought angel food cake or make one from a box mix. It’s up to you.
Regardless of the method you choose, this angel food berry trifle recipe is as delicious as it is pleasing to the eye. It’s a great summer dessert with its layers of berries, light cake and whipped topping. Its colors make it a perfect July 4th dessert.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour to chill
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Servings: 10 to 12
- 1 store-bought angel food cake
- 1 box (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries, for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups 2% or whole milk
- 12 ounces light whipped topping (such as Cool Whip)
- I recommend using a glass trifle bowl without a stand. This type is more versatile than the ones with stands. They often come with lids, too, which are great for leftovers (if you have any!). In a pinch, you can use a standard glass bowl.
- You also could use pound cake pieces in this recipe.
Here’s how to make it:
- Cut angel food cake into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large glass bowl, beat milk and pudding mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Using a spatula, fold in whipped topping.
- Spoon 1/3 of the pudding mixture into bottom of trifle bowl. Add a layer of sliced strawberries and blueberries. Next, add 1/2 of the angel food cake cubes. Add another 1/3 of pudding mixture followed by another layer of strawberries and blueberries. Add the remaining cake cubes. Spread with remaining pudding mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Once trifle is chilled, add raspberries and the remaining strawberries and blueberries to the top of the trifle.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.