Easy Shaved Beef & Broccoli Recipe: A Twist on the Classic Stir-fry Dish by Ann Marie Patitucci
Do you love ordering Chinese takeout? I do, but only some of my family does. It would be much easier if we could make our own Asian food at home for some of us and make something else for the rest, rather than ordering from two different take-out places and having the food arrive at two different times. It would be much more budget-friendly, too!
You may have seen beef and broccoli on a Chinese restaurant’s menu, or perhaps you’ve had Mongolian beef. This shaved beef and broccoli recipe is similar and only takes about 30 minutes to make, which is faster than I would have guessed! The shaved beef cooks quickly, which cuts down on the cooking time. All you need is a skillet; there’s no need for a wok.
Shaved beef is thinly sliced beef, the same type that’s typically used in steak sandwiches. The beef is stir-fried with broccoli and carrots, which is a great way to get in some vegetables. If I can make a Chinese dish at home, so can you (and it may even give your local Chinese restaurant a run for its money!). Serve this beef and broccoli stir fry over rice for dinner.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound shaved beef
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 green onions, chopped
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, coconut aminos or tamari
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- The thinly sliced beef makes all the difference. If you have trouble finding it, you can ask your butcher.
- To make shaving your own beef easier, put the meat into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- This dish is easily customizable. Feel free to replace the broccoli with a different vegetable. You can also switch out the beef for chicken, shrimp or tofu.
- You can substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
Here’s how to make it:
- To make the sauce, heat the oil, garlic and ginger in a small pot over medium heat. Let ingredients cook for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the soy sauce and coconut sugar, then stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook on low for about 2 to 3 minutes until slightly reduced. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, place the shaved beef. If the pieces are sticking together, you can separate them one by one. Add tapioca starch or cornstarch and toss to combine.
- Pour oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is heated, add the shaved beef one piece at a time in a single layer. Cook each piece for about 1 minute per side (it doesn’t take long due to the thin cut of the beef); cook until beef is browned and crispy on each side. Work in batches of single layers until all the beef is cooked and browned. Transfer shaved beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the broccoli florets into the pan with the remaining oil. Cook, covered, until broccoli is tender. Add the carrots and cook about 1 minute.
- Return the beef back to the pan and pour the stir fry sauce on top. Stir to coat the beef, broccoli and carrots with the sauce. Add the green onions and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened and all ingredients are coated. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with rice, if desired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.