Grandma's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe: A Sweet Summer Dessert That's Stood the Test of Time by Jan Mostrom
When I saw fresh strawberries at the farmers market, I knew I had to buy them and find a great dessert recipe. This strawberry shortcake recipe did not disappoint! This strawberry dessert recipe is a delicious summer treat you and your friends will truly enjoy.
Here's your shopping list for this easy fruit-filled strawberry shortcake recipe: fresh strawberries, whipping cream, flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, butter, salt, butter and vanilla extract. First you make simple homemade biscuits, then whip the cream and add the macerated strawberries.
Maceration is simply the process of letting foods soften by using a liquid. The food also absorbs the flavors. The juice from the strawberries mix with the granulated sugar and turn sweet strawberries even sweeter! Serve this classic strawberry shortcake recipe all summer for dessert.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 2 pints ripe strawberries, cleaned and sliced (divided)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar plus 3 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- You can use two layers of biscuits or just one if you prefer.
Here's how to make it:
- In a small bowl, mash one-third of the strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar. Fold in the rest of the strawberries. Cover and set aside to get nice and juicy.
- Make biscuits in a large bowl by combining 3 tablespoons of sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in 3/4 cup soft butter to dry ingredients. When butter is mixed in add the cream starting with 1 1/2 cups. Combine into a dough.
- Add more cream if needed to combine all the dough. (It won't be wet but should hold together.)
- Flour a clean surface and place dough on it, kneading with your hands for about 1 minute.
- Roll out dough with a floured roller to about 1/2-inch thick. Using a round pastry cutter or glass, press and make as many dough circles as possible. Combine scraps of dough, rework into a ball, roll out and repeat the process finally ending with an even number of circles.
- Grease a cookie sheet and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small dish. Place half of the dough circles on the sheet, brush the dough circles with the melted butter and lay another circle on top finally brushing the top with the melted butter.
- Place in a preheated 450-degree F oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes and golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- While biscuits cook, make whipping cream by pouring the remaining cream into a clean glass or ceramic bowl and mixing on high with an electric beater. When it is stiff, gently mix in vanilla. Arrange biscuits by separating halves and layering with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Top with another layer of strawberries and cream or, if you prefer, just use one layer of biscuit with the strawberries and whipped cream.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.