Rich & Succulent Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe With Tortellini Pasta by 30Seconds Food
Most of us love a good, hearty pasta dish. While you may automatically think of pasta with tomato sauce (aka Sunday Gravy), alfredo sauce or pesto, lasagna or stuffed pasta shells, we're throwing beef into the mix. This braised beef short ribs recipe with tortellini is a rich, satisfying beef and pasta dinner the whole family will devour.
The ingredient list for this Italian-American recipe isn't that long, but results in an amazing dinner. You will need bone-in short ribs, olive oil, onion, fresh basil, marsala wine, beef broth, bay leaves, portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, butter, flour, heavy cream and cheese-filled tortellini. You can use fresh tortellini or frozen tortellini for this recipe. While you can use short ribs without the bone, braising the meat on the bone adds so much flavor the the finished sauce. If you're not a fan of portabella mushrooms, try button mushrooms or just leave them out.
Serve this braised beef with pasta for dinner with your favorite side dishes. To make it an even heartier dinner, serve it over brown rice. The leftovers reheat beautifully for dinner or lunch the next day. This amazing recipe would be a wonderful treat for Dad on Father's Day (or anytime)!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Italian / American
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Servings: 4 to 6
- 3 - 4 pounds bone-in short ribs
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, large chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 package (20 ounces) cheese tortellini
Here's how to make it:
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ribs and cook until well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the basil and wine and bring to a simmer. Reduce by half.
- Add the beef broth, water and bay leaves. Put the ribs back into the pot. Cover and bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 2 hours.
- While the ribs braise, add the remaining olive oil to a skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- After two hours take the ribs out of the oven. Remove the ribs to a cutting board and remove the meat from the bones. Cut into pieces.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions.
- While the tortellini cooks, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Bring the liquid from the beef ribs to a boil and whisk in the flour mixture. Cook until it thickens a bit, about 1 to 2 minutes, then pour in the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beef and mushroom mixture to the pot. Stir well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in the tortellini.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.