Light, Airy & Fluffy Lemon Walnut Waffles Recipe: Like Eating a Cloud by Jan Mostrom
I don't think of waffles as being particularly light – but these lemon walnut waffles are! The addition of whipped egg whites makes them light and airy, and there is just the right amount of refreshing lemon flavor. This is the perfect waffle recipe for breakfast or brunch.
The addition of walnuts adds a bit of crunch into the middle and just can't be beat! Don't be afraid to try these amazing waffles and even double the recipe to make extra to put in the freezer for days you're short on time. You can pop the frozen waffles into the toaster for a quick and easy breakfast or snack in no time at all.
Here is your shopping list for these fluffy walnut lemon waffles: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, lemons and walnuts. Serve the lemon waffles warm sprinkled with powdered sugar and top with maple syrup, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes (per waffle)
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 to 8
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- juice from 1/2 large lemon
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or your favorite nuts)
- cooking oil, for waffle iron
- maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoons of the sugar and salt.
- In small bowl mix the egg yolks until smooth, then add the milk, vegetable oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour in the liquid ingredients into the dry and gently stir the batter until just combined. Don't over mix.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. (Using a hand mixer makes this step easier.) Add the remaining sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into an oiled waffle iron, sprinkle with walnuts, then close the iron.
- Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to an oven safe plate and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar and top with maple syrup, if desired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.