Easy Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Scones Recipe: The Scone of Summer by Chef Gigi
Scones. Who doesn't love a tender, moist scone for breakfast, brunch, dessert or for a sweet snack? This easy scone recipe uses the fruit of summer: strawberries! They are tender and absolutely irresistible!
To make these fresh strawberry scones you'll need flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, buttermilk and fresh strawberries that have been washed, leaves removed and cut into halves. When making scones, it's best that all your ingredients are cold, which helps create a tender scone. Serve these strawberry scones with strawberry jam, clotted cream or butter.
Scone fun fact: According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term "scone" was first used in 1513.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / British
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter, cubed small
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, tops removed and sliced in coins or halves
Here's how to make it:
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Quickly cut the cubed butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or clean by rubbing the mixture between your fingers until the flour resembles peas or large breadcrumbs.
- Fold the strawberries into the dry mixture and coat. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Gently incorporate the ingredients until it is just cones together. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Chill for 15 to 20 minutes, if you can wait, because the dough will be much easier to handle.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and press it into a pizza shape about 1-inch thick. Cut into six to eight wedges or circles with a knife and place slightly separated on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the top turns golden brown. Cool. Serve sandwiched with strawberry jam and clotted cream or just butter.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.