Grandma's Broccoli With 4-Ingredient Cheese Sauce Recipe Is Like Being Back in Her Kitchen by Donna John
My grandma always made a vegetable for dinner. Broccoli and cauliflower were two of her favorite vegetables to cook. What made my grandma's broccoli (and cauliflower) so special is that most of the time she made a homemade cheese sauce to pour over the top. The sauce was quick and simple but made her broccoli side dish special. We always looked forward to that sauce because it made the broccoli shine.
My grandma is no longer with us, but when I make dinner, I feel like I'm back in her kitchen every time I whip up this easy cheese sauce for my steamed broccoli or cauliflower vegetable dishes. All you need for this cheesy sauce are four simple ingredients: butter, flour, milk and processed cheese. My grandma always used Velveeta. The homemade cheese sauce takes less than five minutes to cook.
Serve this smooth cheese sauce over broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, green peas, carrots or potatoes. You could even pour it over noodles for a quick macaroni and cheese.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes (broccoli and sauce)
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces processed cheese (I use Velveeta), cut into cubes
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the broccoli florets in a little water in a saucepot until they reach your desired doneness. Drain and return to pot.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking, until smooth and just beginning to simmer. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the cheese and stir until smooth and melted. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.