No-Fuss Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe: Up Your Pickle Game by Chef Gigi
Crisp, sweet and tangy, these easy refrigerator bread and butter pickles have it all! These refrigerator pickles come together quickly; no weird canning tools or hot water baths are required. Who wants to sweat over a hot stove anyway, especially in the middle of summer?
For this homemade pickle recipe you will need the following ingredients: pickling cucumbers, kosher salt, white onions, granulated sugar, champagne vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and ground turmeric. Pickling cucumbers work best, but you can substitute small regular cucumbers if needed. You can adjust the sugar quantities based on your preferences. Store these bread and butter pickles in a large mason jar. These pickles will keep in your refrigerator for up to one month.
Take a jar of these homemade pickles to any summer gathering, from Memorial Day to July 4th to Labor Day. Serve these bread and butter pickles as a side dish with sandwiches, barbecued meats, chicken, hot dogs, corndogs, burgers or whatever you enjoy a pickle with!
Prep Time: 2 hours plus time in the refrigerator
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total time: 2 hours plus time in the fridge
Servings: 12 to 14
- 1 1/2 pounds small pickling cucumbers, sliced into 1/4-inch thick coins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup sweet Vidalia white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup champagne vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Here's how to make it:
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl. Cover and chill for about 90 minutes. After resting, remove from the bowl to a strainer in the sink. Thoroughly rinse under cold water. Drain, pat dry and return the cucumbers to the bowl. Add onion to the bowl and toss with the cucumbers. Set aside.
- Combine the granulated sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and ground turmeric in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the cucumber mixture. Let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.