One-Pan Rhubarb Rosemary Chicken Recipe Is How to Celebrate Rhubarb Season by 30Seconds Food
We've featured all sorts of chicken recipes, from hall-of-fame French chicken to apple horseradish chicken to crispy ranch chicken to deviled chicken. This is the first skillet chicken recipe for us that is made with rhubarb.
Not familiar with rhubarb? Many think it's a fruit because it's used in pies, cobblers and cakes, but rhubarb is actually a vegetable. Raw rhubarb has a sour flavor that some compare to lemon, but gets sweeter when cooked. Rhubarb, strawberry and vanilla are often paired together because strawberry helps with the tartness. The three flavors complement each other very well in recipes such as magic strawberry rhubarb cake, rhubarb strawberry crisp and rhubarb strawberry vanilla cupcakes. Greenhouse rhubarb is available year-round, but field-grown rhubarb is only available in spring, usually April through June, though some areas are lucky enough to get a second harvest in June and July.
This rhubarb rosemary chicken recipe is made with bone-in chicken pieces, fresh rosemary, onion, garlic, white wine, rhubarb, honey and butter. This chicken dinner is a one-pan recipe and cooks in about 30 minutes. Serve this sweet, tart chicken recipe with your favorite side dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus time to marinate
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes plus time to marinate
- 3 - 4 pounds chicken pieces
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 pound rhubarb, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
Here's how to make it:
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Put them into a zipper bag and add the fresh rosemary. Seal and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken (reserve the rosemary) and add to the hot oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Over medium heat, cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary reserved from the chicken. Cook about 1 minute. Stir in the wine and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the rhubarb and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put the chicken back into the pan. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Whisk in the butter and taste to adjust seasonings.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.