Refrigerator Mashed Potatoes Recipe: Potatoes Ready When You Are by Donna John
While I was flipping through an old cookbook from 2001 published by my kids' elementary school, a recipe for refrigerator mashed potatoes caught my attention. Why were they called refrigerator mashed potatoes? Well, it's because you make a big batch of smooth cream cheese mashed potatoes and keep them in the refrigerator for when you need them for dinner. If your family likes mashed potatoes often for dinner, this recipe can be a lifesaver.
The mashed potato recipe is simple to prepare and has just a few ingredients: russet potatoes, butter, cream cheese, chives and milk. The potatoes are boiled, drained, mashed and mixed with the butter, cream cheese, chives, salt, black pepper and milk until smooth and creamy. Put them into an airtight container and refrigerate until you're ready to use them. Bake whatever amount you need for your family. The recipe below is for six to eight servings, but you can heat up less.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: 12 to 16 servings
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chives (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups milk
- paprika (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Salt the water and add the potatoes. Cover and cook gently for about 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the butter, cream cheese, chives, salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well. Gradually add in milk to make the potatoes creamy and fluffy. Put the potatoes into an airtight container, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- To make enough potatoes for six servings, spread half of the potatoes (about 5 cups) into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 45 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.