Magic Chocolate Cake Recipe: A Decadent Chocolate 3-Layer Cake From One Batter by Donna John
With the popularity of my vanilla magic cake recipe (it's officially a hall of fame fan favorite!), I had to try another magical dessert recipe. With a chocolate craving in full swing, I decided on a magic chocolate cake. This chocolate cake magically separates into three layers as it bakes – and it's pretty dang delicious.
To make the cake magic, you'll need one stick of butter (melt it in the microwave), four eggs (separate the eggs whites from the yolks), granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder and milk that's at room temperature. Start by beating the egg whites to stiff peaks. Set the egg whites aside and whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the melted butter, flour, cocoa powder and milk, then gently fold in the egg whites. Pour the batter into a greased and lined square cake pan and bake for about one hour. Cool at room temperature then pop the cake into the refrigerator to chill completely. Once it's cold, you can cut it and see the magic you created.
One layer of the chocolate cake is like a custard, one layer is like a cake and one is soufflé-like in texture. You can dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar before serving. Serve this not-too-sweet chocolate cake for dessert or as a sweet snack. What's the next magic dessert recipe I'll tackle? Stay tuned!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour (ovens vary)
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 4 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups milk, at room temperature
Here's how to make it:
- Spray an 8x8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Mix the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour in the milk.
- Mix well until combined.
- Fold in the egg whites. Be gentle so you don't deflate them.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated 320-degree F oven for about 1 hour or until the cake still jiggles in the center but feels firm to the touch. Because ovens vary, start checking the cake at 45 minutes.
- Cool the cake on the counter, then put it into the refrigerator to chill.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.